Online Tour Operator Course
A tour guide's role is vital as often it's the tourist's first impression with the people and culture of the place they're visiting.
Cape Town, the Mother City of South Africa, capital of the Western Cape and the most beautiful city by the sea, is on everyone's 'bucket list'.
'Fynbos' part of the Cape Floral Kingdom, the richest in the world with more than 8 500 different species and only found in the Western Cape.
Bontebok only found in South Africa and Lesotho, with the Western Cape home to the largest numbers.
Our 9 different Wine Regions offer tourists more than 500 different wine estates to visit and sample cultivars such as Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Merlot, Shiraz and even our own exclusive Pinotage.
Tourist will love South Africa's sunshine and exquisite scenery. We offer many outdoor activities such as hiking in the Cedarberg Mountains. "Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world." - Gustave Flaubert
Hermanus, only 1,5 hours from Cape Town, rated the best 'whale sighting' destination in the world. Join us for the Whale festival in September.
The spring flowers along the West Coast cover the land with a colourful carpet each year from July to September.
Coastal towns along the Cape coastline offer tourists scenic beauty, tranquility and rest.
Share your love for Cape Town and South Africa with others by becoming a tourist guide. "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tourist Guide Institute is now offering tour operating online training courses. At this stage there are no Cathsseta accredited tour operating courses, but there is a need for basic training to help tourist guides start their own tour operating businesses. So TGI has put together a tour operating course using their years of experience tour operating under All Africa Tours as well as the tourist guide training under Tourist Guide Institute. The course co-ordinators are Scott Womack and Julie Womack.
TO REGISTER FOR THIS COURSE: Click here.
- Suggested minimum age 25 years old
- Matric or higher qualification
- Tourist guide training qualification a recommendation, but not a necessity
- English language proficiency and computer literacy are essential
- Access to a computer and internet are mandatory
- The course is made up of 8 main video topics viewed online.
- If the candidate has not done a tourist guide course, there are 3 additional videos and 1 additional assessment.
- We provide a course handbook, with interesting articles, that support the video lecture materials.
- The handbook also has space for the student to jot down ideas, questions and reflections along the way.
- There are 3 formal assessment areas that are done at the end and handed in for feedback from TGI.
- On completion, the student will receive a certificate of competence.
- Students work at their own pace.
COURSE FEES FOR 2024: R3 000
- Tour Industry Terminology
- Types of tours to sell
- Setting goals
- Choosing a Business Entity
- Drawing up a Business Plan
- Vehicle permits and PDP licenses
- Designing tour Itineraries
- Pitfalls to avoid when designing tours
- Schedules for guides/tour leaders/drivers
- Feedback forms for guides and clients
- Costing a business and a tour
- Drawing up excel spreadsheets for costing purposes
- Quoting and invoicing
- Marketing your tours
- Having an online presence
- Terms and Conditions
- Force Majeure and Covid 19 protocols.
- Complete the registration form (p. 3-4 of Prospectus).
- Pay R3 000 upon registration for 2024
- Send a copy of your tourist guide qualification certificate if candidate is a qualified guide.
- A copy of your RSA ID, or Passport, Refugee Status Document, Permanent Residency. Work Permit, if it states that the individual may work “as a tourist guide” or “operate a tour business”.
TO REGISTER FOR THIS COURSE:
Download prospectus and registration form here.